Multigrain Sandwich Bread
5 1/4 cups multigrain bread flour
2 Tbsp. organic sugar (or liquid sweetener such as honey or maple syrup)
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 Tbsp. (rounded) instant yeast
1 1/2 Tbsp. oil
2 cups warm water (somewhere between 100 and 115 degrees Fahrenheit)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, stir together dry ingredients (if using liquid sweetener, wait until next step). Add oil and water (and liquid sweetener, if using). Using a bread hook, mix for 1 minute and then check the consistency of the dough. The dough should be very sticky. If it is too dry, add more water.
- Mix for 5 minutes, until it has a smooth, even consistency. (Do not add any more flour after the dough has finished mixing.)
- Spray kneading surface with cooking spray and turn dough out onto surface. Knead dough briefly until it has a smooth even consistency (this will only take several turns of the dough to accomplish).
- Divide dough into 2 pieces and form each piece into a loaf shape and place into greased loaf pans. Cover with a large dish towel and let rise for 25 minutes.
- While loaves are rising, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. When loaves are ready to go into the oven, use a sharp knife (you can lightly spray your knife with cooking spray to prevent dragging) to make several slashes in the top. Make each cut about 1/4-inch deep at a 30 degree angle. Bake loaves for 25-30 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
- Remove from loaf pans and place on drying rack to cool.